Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thing 8- Communication Tools

I have already had some experience with most of the items in this Thing. We use IM (instant messaging) at work. I have also used IM in Facebook and a little online, but I don't really like using IM at home. When I was taking my online classes for my degree in library and information studies, I would get "interrupted" at times when I was in class or when I really needed to work on an assignment by some well-meaning friend--usually one of my sons' friends because they use it quite often. They love it. Im'ing is convenient when you need an answer right away at work. I use it mostly to tell my co-workers that their client is finished with a test. When I just want to find out something, I prefer email. It's a personality thing, I guess. I want to do things when I want to do them (or when I'm finished with what I am presently doing) and that's not always instantaneous. To me, IM's are like phone calls--they interrupt me in the middle of my concentration, and I have to shift my mind gears. I am a very focused-minded person, wanting to complete one task before I go to another because I know it will be done correctly that way and probably with less error than if I was interrupted. I can multi-task, but it is not the best way to do things because you cannot lend your best to every task you are doing. But, life is full of multi-tasking. I can see using IM in a library from a reference desk because it extends that desk.

I have also been making much use of web-conferencing since beginning this job and having many opportunities through NEFLIN to do so. These online workshops have been a great help; I appreciate the fact that they are available online and that I can attend them while I am at work AND still help my library patrons at the same time. I miss not actually seeing the other people and interacting with them before and after a session, but I really like the webinars for their convenience.

Texting! Yuk! No, I have absolutely no experience with texting. Maybe I would if you didn't have to pay for it! My sons love it though. They are all in their early 20's. I am afraid that texting is killing the proper English language as email has already been doing since it arrived. (I love email, but I wish people would learn to spell and take time to proofread.) I did google FWIW as the article said to do if you had no clue (which described me). It means "for what it's worth."

No comments:

Post a Comment