Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thing 2 - Library 2.0

Thing 2 in the 23 Things is labeled "Web 2.0," but the information is about "Library 2.0." I find the change in labeling confusing when from what I gathered in the information, they are almost the same thing. Correct me if I am way off base, but I learned from the information provided that Library 2.0 is a gathering of library sources, a collaboration of libraries, made available on the Web. I found the blog from John Blyberg in Connecticut to be the most helpful of the resources I read. One part in particular was interesting to me: John mentions that libraries need to collaborate to provide information. I am one of about twenty librarians on campuses located in different cities throughout Florida for one particular institution. Our library site does just this, but I think adding public libraries and information from state libraries would be wonderful to give our students more access to authoritative information. John compared a bit with the idea of ILL, interlibrary loan. It is so easy to get lost in Google or any other large search engine. If we could funnel the relevant information for our particular patrons from various credible sources, we could help them save time and find exactly what they need. That is the reason we love our expensive databases-the funnel of precise information. Library 2.0 would be a more economic option.

No comments:

Post a Comment