Monday, January 26, 2009

Thing 4- RSS

RSS is an acronym for "Really Simple Syndication." (I had to type it so I'll remember it. I know you already know this, but I'm new to it.) It is still a bit mind-boggling to me. I read through the 23 Things article, but was unable to view the video-technical difficulties, you know. After reading the article and after taking a class which touched on this, I still could not have fully explained it to you. So, do not expect a scholarly rendition of RSS from this blog post. But, all is not lost. I am one of those visual learners who has to get her hands into it and play with it and figure it out even if it does explode. I believe I now understand--a wee, little bit--a RSS is a way of saving valuable research time by tracking authoritative sources and others that are just plain fun. I didn't quite understand at first that it all happens with a middle man, so to speak--Google Reader. I tried to use Bloglines since I had created an account in that for the before mentioned class I took, but I just couldn't figure out how to use it with Blogger. So, I went to my Blog and worked from there. It already had Google Reader. Using trial and error, a lot of error, I finally added three of my fellow 23 Things Bloggers to follow and three news, CNN and two library, sources. I still need practice to get this, but I can see it can really be a helpful item for a researcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment